Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Coming Soon: The San Diego Quilt Show


I can’t believe that I don’t have any last minute prep for my quilt to go to the show. It is labelled, bagged and folded with the “right sides out and upper right corner displayed” per SDQS instructions. It will be dropped off at Rosie’s Calico Cupboard between 1 – 6PM tomorrow, be in the show Thursday – Sunday and must be picked up on Sunday 1 – 4 PM at Rosies.
I bet it will be a madhouse. This is my first entry for SDQS so I’m a bit excited. This not a judged show though the general public can vote for their favorites. Viewer’s Choice awards through a Third place ribbon. This will be my Asian Flower Garden (AFG) quilt’s third show. As soon as it comes back it will be packed and shipped to Machine Quilters Innovations in Tacoma for a peer-judged show. I plan to put AFG in every show I can.

Making a quilt for show takes many hours of work. My AFG is a Blooming Nine Patch from the Blanche Young book named Tradition with a Twist. It is an easy pattern, just 9 patches and 4.25" blocks. This quilt has so many seams, it uses a LOT of fabric. I think it is 7 yds for the front. I started piecing the quilt and got 7 rows done. But two of the fabrics read as solid and I anted “bloom” so three or four rows had to be ripped out so I could replace the fabrics. Then I just ran out of time and asked for help.

I am not a great piecer but, my friend, Debbie Heaton is. She has been in the sewing industry for over 30 years and her piecing is impeccable. Plus she has a keen eye for color. So Debbie pieced AFG. Then Marilynn Hersey did the binding by hand. Both the piecing and the binding got high marks at MQS 2008. So I am hoping that AFG does well at SDQS.

No comments:

My life has changed in the last couple of years - some bumps, I retired from quilting, and then I moved to Texas. I'm anxious to see what new adventures await me in the next phase of my life.

About Me

My photo
Ramona, California, United States
I started quilting when a quilt shop opened in our little town in January 2004. I have been hooked ever since.

Blog Archive

Followers of my blog

Books I"ve read lately

  • The Help (Kindle)
  • The Appeal by John Grisham
  • Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
  • Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
  • To Kill a Mockingbird (again) by Harper Lee
  • Bleachers by John Grisham

This is called Fruit Cocktail

This is called Fruit Cocktail
It is all batiks