Tuesday, January 27, 2009
Boys and Girls Club Auction 2009
This one is a kingsize, lots of Fairy Frost. It is philanthropy for a Boys and Girls Club raffle coming up. My friend Debbie pieced it. Meticulous work is her norm.
I quilted it custom with continuous curves, pumpkin seeds, cross-hatching, alternating hashmarks, applique outlining and lots of stitch-in-the-ditch. The quilt top and back sitting unquilted in a paper bag was already heavy. We decided to use Quilter's Dream Poly batting. It gives great quilt definition and is not as heavy as cotton. I used Signature Cotton white thread top and bobbin.
I tried a new sashing stitch on it. It is very similar to a Deloa Jones sashing that I learned at MQS 2008. But that sashing requires a long pass over the stitched sashing amd I don't always slow down enough to miss cropping the top of the sashing. So this one works better for me.
The borders stacked outside the sashing was a challenge. I had just watched a Deb Levy video on Machine Quilter's Resource that demonstrated dividing borders. These borders were not wide. In fact, that was part of the problem. The inner border was 3 inches and the outer border was about 4 inches. It would have been a different border treatment if the outer border was 5 or 6 inches. I ran a double-spine and one-sided feathers facing into the quilt on the inside of the border treatment. I did piano keys on the outside part of the border treatment. I was pleased with the result. I hope it makes them tons of $$.
My life has changed in the last couple of years - some bumps, I retired from quilting, and then I moved to Texas. I'm anxious to see what new adventures await me in the next phase of my life.
- ► 2011 (9)
- ► 2010 (75)
- ▼ 01/25 - 02/01 (5)
- ► 2008 (88)
- ► 2007 (89)
- ► 2006 (67)