Thursday, January 29, 2009

Red Zinger

zinger

I was cruising through some of my favorite blogs and came across an interesting article for a quilt named the Red Zinger on Ann Marie's blog

I had a blast making it. No patterns or 1/4 inch seam allowances to worry about. Plus, the freedom to choose what color goes next is a thrill. You cut the last 1 1/2 inch off including the selvage of various fabrics. I chose random fabrics so I could get lots of color variations in my zinger. You stitch the selvage edges to each other in an overlapping fashion. I bought enough base fabric, Kona Red, for 9 big X's. Each X is comprised of four 9-inch blocks with selvage attached. My quilt is 3 Xs across and 3 X's down. I plan to use it as a wall hanging. I think it might be a bit stiff for a quilt but it will make a great conversation piee.

This s my first and I decided to make it a wall hanging size. It still needs the binding, red, of course.

zinger-dtl

It was so much fun to make. I still have lots of selvage left. I'm looking for the book to see what other projects I can make with this selvage.

No comments:

My life has changed in the last couple of years - some bumps, I retired from quilting, and then I moved to Texas. I'm anxious to see what new adventures await me in the next phase of my life.

About Me

My photo
Ramona, California, United States
I started quilting when a quilt shop opened in our little town in January 2004. I have been hooked ever since.

Blog Archive

Followers of my blog

Books I"ve read lately

  • The Help (Kindle)
  • The Appeal by John Grisham
  • Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
  • Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
  • To Kill a Mockingbird (again) by Harper Lee
  • Bleachers by John Grisham

This is called Fruit Cocktail

This is called Fruit Cocktail
It is all batiks