Saturday, June 12, 2010

The Day Before the Church Picnic



Our church has a big pit barbeque every year after Sunday service. Lots of families and food and fun.

But the night before the church picnic, several adults gather to prep the pit and get ready for the big doings tomorrow. We all bring a dip (mine is onion souffle), shrimp, cakes, chips, veggies, chili x 3 and much more.

This year we have brisket, turkey, pork shuolder, quail, pheasant, and wild boar.




Russ preps the pit with wood until the pit is good and hot.

Then the women gather to season the meat before it gets put in the pit.

There will be a jumpy for the kids, horseshoes, games involving hula hoops and water balloons and a game to guess the names of baby photos of congregation members. It will be a hoot.



Recipe for onion souffle:
2 packages of frozen onions - thawed and water squeezed out
3 8-oz cream cheese softened on the counter (not the microwave)
1/2 cup of mayonnaise
2 cups of shredded parmesan cheese.

Mix ingredients and back in a greased 13 x 9 pans for 15 -20 minutes at 425 degrees.
Yummy.

No comments:

My life has changed in the last couple of years - some bumps, I retired from quilting, and then I moved to Texas. I'm anxious to see what new adventures await me in the next phase of my life.

About Me

My photo
Ramona, California, United States
I started quilting when a quilt shop opened in our little town in January 2004. I have been hooked ever since.

Blog Archive

Followers of my blog

Books I"ve read lately

  • The Help (Kindle)
  • The Appeal by John Grisham
  • Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
  • Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
  • To Kill a Mockingbird (again) by Harper Lee
  • Bleachers by John Grisham

This is called Fruit Cocktail

This is called Fruit Cocktail
It is all batiks