Sunday, April 18, 2010

MRI

No wonder the MRI questionaire included questions like "Are you claustrophobic?".

I have a compression fracture on one of my thorasic vertebraes. It's T10 for you medical types; it is just under my bra-line for us non-medical types. The xray showed the fracture but it does not show if any blood vessels or tissue are stuck in the fracture. My doctor ordered an MRI of the T10. The first try was on a mobile MRI machine. It is slightly smaller than the ones I have seen at big hospitals. It was like a little tunnel. My right foot had an MRI in September. But only my foot went into the machine so it didn't scare me. I noticed that it was noisy but they gave me ear plugs to wear.

But the MRI on my spine required me to go head first into that little tunnel. My arms scraped against the sides and I just could not catch my breath. I don't think I paniced. I just told the tech that it was too uncomfortable. Sure enough, both arms were bruised from scraping the sides of the tunnel.

So they found an "open" MRI machine just up the road at a medical clinic. That was shaped like a small "c". I laid flat and they put a cage-like thing over my midsection and slid me sideways into the MRI. I opened my eyes and could not tell how close my head was to the top of the MRI. I thought, I have to get this done or they will not fix my compression fracture. So I just started praying. I prayed for everybody I know and some people I don't know. I just kept up this silent dialog with the Lord for 35 minutes until it was done. The MRI confirmed that it was a bad fracture but no complications with tissue. OK, I'm ready for surgery.

No comments:

My life has changed in the last couple of years - some bumps, I retired from quilting, and then I moved to Texas. I'm anxious to see what new adventures await me in the next phase of my life.

About Me

My photo
Ramona, California, United States
I started quilting when a quilt shop opened in our little town in January 2004. I have been hooked ever since.

Blog Archive

Followers of my blog

Books I"ve read lately

  • The Help (Kindle)
  • The Appeal by John Grisham
  • Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
  • Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
  • To Kill a Mockingbird (again) by Harper Lee
  • Bleachers by John Grisham

This is called Fruit Cocktail

This is called Fruit Cocktail
It is all batiks