Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Green Tea Batiks


Mary always picks out the loveliest fabrics for her quilts. This one is no exception. Pieced perfectly, flat and square, it is always a delight to quilt for her. She likes puffy batting so I used Quilters Dream Puff. The thread was both So Fine Chocolate and So Fine Green Pastel. The green block photos don't show the green too well, no flash so I could show off the quilting.




I used Darlene Epps's Tropicana block in the green blocks and Tropicana half in the triangles. The border is a variation on continuous curves with a leaf spike on each leg. The set is called DEST04C and I got the set from DigiTech. The set came with 3 squares of the CC, 4 squares and singles. I used the singles in the brown blocks. I had planned to string the 4-CC squares together but could not make it work. I decided to use the singles and discovered that by rotating the single blocks, a leaf design emerged as a secondary pattern between the CC-squares. If you look at the border, you can see the leaf as it alternates pointing inward then outward across the border. What a nice surprise. I delivered it yesterday and she loved it.



No comments:

My life has changed in the last couple of years - some bumps, I retired from quilting, and then I moved to Texas. I'm anxious to see what new adventures await me in the next phase of my life.

About Me

My photo
Ramona, California, United States
I started quilting when a quilt shop opened in our little town in January 2004. I have been hooked ever since.

Blog Archive

Followers of my blog

Books I"ve read lately

  • The Help (Kindle)
  • The Appeal by John Grisham
  • Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
  • Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
  • To Kill a Mockingbird (again) by Harper Lee
  • Bleachers by John Grisham

This is called Fruit Cocktail

This is called Fruit Cocktail
It is all batiks