Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Two Half Log Cabins - Different Quilts

My friend Martha, the shop owner of the CraZy 9 Patch and Kimmie, on staff at C9P decided to use up the last of a few purple to lilac fabrics making half log cabins. The quilts look the same on front.

Kimmie chose pink flannel back and wanted bamboo batting. She also wanted hearts. I drew up three wonky concentric freemotion hearts (continuous, thank you very much) and quilted it on the quilt along with a a Debbi Treusch offset of a Deloa Jones sashing, SID and my longarm feathers with echo.
corner

HALF-LOG-KIM

3-hearts

kim-corner


Martha used a purple backing and wanted Hobbs Heirloom batting. Martha liked the Tree of Life design that I drew up and used on my son's Jacob's Ladder. So I did that inside the field of her half log cabin. I SID the border and used freemotion to quilt an open leage and curl pattern similar to one of the fabrics in the the quilt.

front-mb2

front-mb

The back shows the budding stems of the tree. No flash used for this so the color is distorted.

back-mb

You can't see the quilting on this photo but the color is correct.

So these two fabric-atistas (hey, if Starbucks can make up a name for their coffee guys, I can make up a name for the people who work at quilt shops) had two very different quilts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful work! You are one busy lady! Love your stuff.

Darcy
SassyQuilts

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

I love your blog! I am a very newbie longarmer..got a used Gammill in September...but so wanting to learn new things. We live way too far from any quilting classes. Are you just so talented? Did you take classes? I never heard of MQResources until I read your blog. I am in awe of what you do...lovely work. I can only hope that one day I can do some of what you seem to have mastered.

My life has changed in the last couple of years - some bumps, I retired from quilting, and then I moved to Texas. I'm anxious to see what new adventures await me in the next phase of my life.

About Me

My photo
Ramona, California, United States
I started quilting when a quilt shop opened in our little town in January 2004. I have been hooked ever since.

Blog Archive

Followers of my blog

Books I"ve read lately

  • The Help (Kindle)
  • The Appeal by John Grisham
  • Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
  • Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
  • To Kill a Mockingbird (again) by Harper Lee
  • Bleachers by John Grisham

This is called Fruit Cocktail

This is called Fruit Cocktail
It is all batiks