Sunday, December 07, 2008

Chinese Coins - Phase 1





This was such a cool pattern when I saw it at the Cozy Quilts shop in El Cajon. It intrigued me so I bought the pattern. Months later, I bought 8 coordinating fabrics and a wonderful pale blue-green Fusion for the background from our local quilt shop The Crazy 9 Patch. The tranquilt feel of the fabric is full of post marks from far away places, bits of elegant flowers all in muted colors with splashes of cranberry. The pattern is strip piecing so was easy when I could break away from the longarm long enough to do some piecing over on my turbo Juki TL-98Q. Love that machine.


I had originally planned to put it on my king size bed with a nice drop. But after looking at it all assembled, it was beyond boring, just too linear for me. I liked it better in small doses. Since I had plenty of the fabric, (I over bought as usual - just can't stop myself) I decided to split the king into to two large lap-sized quilt. The one with Quilter's Dream Puff batting will go to the Friendship Quilters of San Diego, my guild. The other is for me and I will use Quilter's Dream wool batting. I used a new pattern name Palm Fronds 10" from Quilting Design Studio. I have no idea who the designer is but I love the look of it on this vertical quilt.


You can really see the stacked palms on the back of the quilt.




A friend of mine does the binding for me. I can do it but it is never quite right. Since this is going to the guild, I wanted it to be straight and true. So that means Marilynn does it for me.

1 comment:

Lesley said...

I love the colour way Linda, it's yummy isn't it nice to do something for yourself now and then.

My life has changed in the last couple of years - some bumps, I retired from quilting, and then I moved to Texas. I'm anxious to see what new adventures await me in the next phase of my life.

About Me

My photo
Ramona, California, United States
I started quilting when a quilt shop opened in our little town in January 2004. I have been hooked ever since.

Blog Archive

Followers of my blog

Books I"ve read lately

  • The Help (Kindle)
  • The Appeal by John Grisham
  • Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
  • Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
  • To Kill a Mockingbird (again) by Harper Lee
  • Bleachers by John Grisham

This is called Fruit Cocktail

This is called Fruit Cocktail
It is all batiks