Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Batik Pineapples






I love the combination of blue and orange in batiks. It is made with half-square triangles. The tension must have been bad on the piecer's sewing machine because I could see light between the seams. I fixed about a dozen of the seams, gave it a good dousing with Fresh Press for just a light touch of starch and pressed it nice and flat.
I had to quilt it from the front of the machine because I had to be careful that I didn't snag a seam. The back is an azure blue with pineapples. So I drew inspiration from those pineapples and freemotioned a pineapple diagonally in each block. I didn't dare SID the block because it could break the exposed thread in some places. I decided to go the whimsical way and used serpentine (wavy) SID to nail down the edges of the blocks. You have to admire spirit of the piecer. She attempted this half-square triangel quilt as her second project in quilting.She may be trying to run before she walks.



No comments:

My life has changed in the last couple of years - some bumps, I retired from quilting, and then I moved to Texas. I'm anxious to see what new adventures await me in the next phase of my life.

About Me

My photo
Ramona, California, United States
I started quilting when a quilt shop opened in our little town in January 2004. I have been hooked ever since.

Blog Archive

Followers of my blog

Books I"ve read lately

  • The Help (Kindle)
  • The Appeal by John Grisham
  • Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
  • Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
  • To Kill a Mockingbird (again) by Harper Lee
  • Bleachers by John Grisham

This is called Fruit Cocktail

This is called Fruit Cocktail
It is all batiks