Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Surf's Up Laguna Beach 15 feet !


When I was 17, I spent two exciting weeks one summer visiting my cousins who lived in Orange County, California. It was my first time seeing the ocean and it was amazing for this girl raised in west Texas to behold the Pacific. Wow. I still have fond memories of that trip. Besides the requisite trip to Disneyland and Knott's Berry Farm, we drove to the beach. There was an old bearded hippie standing on Pacific Coast Highway waving at everybody. My cousin called him the Laguna Beach Greeter. You can get more history on the Greeter from this web-site.

http://www.beachcalifornia.com/beach/laguna-beach-greeter.html

In addition to getting the sunburn of my life on the cloudy beach, I fell in love with the California beach community. The laid back lifestyle, all those palm trees and all those baggy-shorted long-haired surfer boys were just the coolest thing in the world in my innocnet eyes. I couldn't wait to get back to dusty old Texas and regale them with stories of what I saw and my new motto "Surf's Up Laguna Beach - 15 feet". Well, decades later, I moved to California and renewed my love affair with California Beaches. I love all things "beachy".

So when this surfboards quilt landed in the local quilt shop, it was my prize to quilt. Desiree, a San Diego peace officer (yes, cop) made it for her husband, a surfer dude. There were 5 surfboards appliqued on with 4 different colors of water. The back was batik blues and greens with some yellow.

I quilted tranquil water, wavy water and it here and there frothy water. 6 differnent colors of thread for the water and the surfboards. I used Laguna panto (by Jodi Beamish) for the border, appropriate, don't you think? And for the corner pieces, I used a piece of a tropical leaf from the Rotorua panto by one of my favorite designers, Hermione Agee. I SID'd the border. All in all, way too much work for what I was going to get paid but I was happy with it. I hope Desiree and more importantly, her surfer-boy husband, likes it.

No comments:

My life has changed in the last couple of years - some bumps, I retired from quilting, and then I moved to Texas. I'm anxious to see what new adventures await me in the next phase of my life.

About Me

My photo
Ramona, California, United States
I started quilting when a quilt shop opened in our little town in January 2004. I have been hooked ever since.

Blog Archive

Followers of my blog

Books I"ve read lately

  • The Help (Kindle)
  • The Appeal by John Grisham
  • Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
  • Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
  • To Kill a Mockingbird (again) by Harper Lee
  • Bleachers by John Grisham

This is called Fruit Cocktail

This is called Fruit Cocktail
It is all batiks