Thursday, October 30, 2008

Java Snowballs On-Point


The Crazy9Patch quilt shop just received some wonderful coffee-themed fabric. The collection is named Bistro and it is from Moda. It came in 2 colorways; black and red and brown and blue.







I love the smell of coffee and coffee ice cream is my alltime favorite but I don't drink much coffee. But I love the quirkiness of this fabric. Martha, the owner of the Crazy 9 Patch, deep discounted the border fabric if I would allow her to display my completed quilt in the shop to entice others to buy the new fabric. Twist my arm.




















I used a simple pattern from the No-Sweat Flannel Quilts book by Beth Garretson. The pattern is called Stargazer. I saw a quilt made by a chat-forum mate named Darcy that so inspired me, I had to try out some new ideas. Darcy's was done on a 9 patch quilt made from military camouflage uniform pieces. Isn't that cool? But the way she quilted it is the real story. Lots of concentric circles and borders that have a big WOW factor. When you get a chance, take a look at this quilt on MQR.

I decided that I wanted to showcase some of my Circle Lord quilting so I used Quilter's Dream Puff batting for a little extra loft and quilt definition.

--CL Wave template - a parallel double wave on the borders

--CL concentric circles in the blocks

--CL circle maker - small circles over the star points

--CL circle maker - 3/4 circle partway around the setting triangles

--A cup and saucer taken from Jodi Beamish's Coffee Break panto in the setting triangles.



I considered using Signature cotton thread in the color Mustard to match the star points. I even wound the bobbins. But the conservative in me drew me back to Signature cotton black thred.

I was careful to do a good job piecing....I am not the best piecer. Since this will be seen by others, I didn't want it to look like a rushed thru it. Even the borders were flat and square. Maybe I should invite a few of my clients over for a "How-To" on borders. Oh, that was mean.

2 comments:

Ruthie said...

I bought some of that line last night at Rossville Quilts. It is just cute as can be.

Granny said...

That's so cute. Looks like you did a great job of piecing and quilting.

My life has changed in the last couple of years - some bumps, I retired from quilting, and then I moved to Texas. I'm anxious to see what new adventures await me in the next phase of my life.

About Me

My photo
Ramona, California, United States
I started quilting when a quilt shop opened in our little town in January 2004. I have been hooked ever since.

Blog Archive

Followers of my blog

Books I"ve read lately

  • The Help (Kindle)
  • The Appeal by John Grisham
  • Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
  • Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
  • To Kill a Mockingbird (again) by Harper Lee
  • Bleachers by John Grisham

This is called Fruit Cocktail

This is called Fruit Cocktail
It is all batiks