Monday, April 23, 2007

Martha's For the Birds quilt from Buggy Barn


For the Birds is the name of this fun quilt. The bird houses are tilted, the fabrics are batiks and the flowers are fun and funky. This pattern is from the Buggy Barn book named Perennially Crazy by Janet Nesbitt and her sister, Pam Soliday.




Their web-site is Buggy Barn Quilts











Martha generally doesn't like a lot of quilting on her quilts. I didn't have a lot of choice with this one. The odd seams and funky pattern make for lot of angles and seams in odd places. I had to go back over this quilt because some of the seams were popping up. I was afraid to use more thread, that mustard color pops quite a bit. So I used Superior's MonoPoly thread to nail them down. I was not able to adjust the tension on my longram to use the Monopoly but it worked great on my Bernina. So I outlined the birdhouses after I finished quilting it. The back is a lavender hydrangea fabric.



I got a new stencil for these Buggy Barns quilts. It is called Sweet Potato Birdie and has leaves and obviously, birds. You can see birds new the bird houses and in the borders on this quilt. I got the stencil from Stensource. I love this company. They have a nice variety of stencil products and they ship very fast.

I used a mustard yellow PolyTex thread on the top and a light purple Superior Bottom Line in the bobbin. She plans to use this as a wall hanging in her living room.

No comments:

My life has changed in the last couple of years - some bumps, I retired from quilting, and then I moved to Texas. I'm anxious to see what new adventures await me in the next phase of my life.

About Me

My photo
Ramona, California, United States
I started quilting when a quilt shop opened in our little town in January 2004. I have been hooked ever since.

Blog Archive

Followers of my blog

Books I"ve read lately

  • The Help (Kindle)
  • The Appeal by John Grisham
  • Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
  • Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
  • To Kill a Mockingbird (again) by Harper Lee
  • Bleachers by John Grisham

This is called Fruit Cocktail

This is called Fruit Cocktail
It is all batiks