Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Annabelle's Watermelon Log Cabin Tablecloth



Won't this brighten up a summer table?
Our LQS, The Crazy 9 Patch had a class for a watermelon log cabin. Susan Baker taught the class. This is the fourth one that I have quilted. I haven't even finished piecing mine. I better get busy.


I love the way Annabelle put these seed buttons on as embellishments. It was a bit tricky quilting around them but they are the perfect touch for this quilt. Annabelle is still a rookie in the quilt world. But she did a nice job on piecing this one. The seams were consistently a quarter-inch; it was well pressed and she chose quality fabric. She pieced the Warm and Natural cotton batting and then used 509 spray adhesive to put the quilt sandwich together. I don't think that you will even notice the batting joins once it is quilted and washed. She learned to put pins in the quilt at a quilt class she attended. I removed and returned the pins.

I tried my new Featherlight clamps from Tomorrows Heirlooms Quilt Store These backing grabbers are used to take hold of the skimpy backing. The quilt top was only left an inch or two smaller than the backing. I also built and used a muslin extender (90" x 12")to get the quilt away from the zippers. So the quilt backing was pinned to the canvas leader at the top and to the muslin extender on the bottom.

Martha, the owner of the LQS, suggested that we use white thread on top and bobbin. The backing is a red plaid. I used Signature's cotton white thread and Bottom line white thread in the bobbin. I quilted "bite marks" into the watermelon and then put vines and leaves in the furrows between thee watermelon slices.



No comments:

My life has changed in the last couple of years - some bumps, I retired from quilting, and then I moved to Texas. I'm anxious to see what new adventures await me in the next phase of my life.

About Me

My photo
Ramona, California, United States
I started quilting when a quilt shop opened in our little town in January 2004. I have been hooked ever since.

Blog Archive

Followers of my blog

Books I"ve read lately

  • The Help (Kindle)
  • The Appeal by John Grisham
  • Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
  • Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
  • To Kill a Mockingbird (again) by Harper Lee
  • Bleachers by John Grisham

This is called Fruit Cocktail

This is called Fruit Cocktail
It is all batiks