Saturday, March 03, 2007

Mary's Hawaiian Quilt




This is a quilt that was done at the night class. Janet, the teacher, wanted to teach the popular Hawaiian quilt as well as some Sampler blocks. The combination is an eye-catcher. Mary wants me to echo the flower and then just go tropical. The backing a thick and heavy home decator fabric, much like upholstery fabric.

Thursday March 15th: It started to unravel almost immediately. One of the tips I got from the forums was that it was OK to serge the backing. So I did. There is no border so I was afraid that the big edge pieces were on the bias. So I stay-stitched it. It turned out not to be bias but better safe than sorry. Since this was such a big quilt (97" by 97"), I put zippers on it so I could pull it off if I needed to.

Friday March 16th: This is one heavy quilt. I noticed right away that there is drag on the machine. The weight of the backing makes it heavy. Just moving the machine head is a real work-out. By the end of Day 2, my back was killing me.

Saturday March 17th: The center medallion is 38 inches. Massive. To echo the entire medallion would take me the rest of my life. I asked for advice from both the APQS forum and the longarmchat web-site.

Sunday March 18th: 2 more hours of echo. Will it ever end?


Monday March 19th: I got lots of ideas. One of those suggestions was to repeat the trumpet vine design used in the setting triangles inside the center medallion; in the corners. That was a great idea and it saved me from having to do 18 more lines of echo. I think the trumpet looks good. I did those top corner trumpet and finished the echo on top of the center medallion and called it a night.

Thursday March 22nd: 7 more long hours and it was done.



No comments:

My life has changed in the last couple of years - some bumps, I retired from quilting, and then I moved to Texas. I'm anxious to see what new adventures await me in the next phase of my life.

About Me

My photo
Ramona, California, United States
I started quilting when a quilt shop opened in our little town in January 2004. I have been hooked ever since.

Blog Archive

Followers of my blog

Books I"ve read lately

  • The Help (Kindle)
  • The Appeal by John Grisham
  • Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
  • Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
  • To Kill a Mockingbird (again) by Harper Lee
  • Bleachers by John Grisham

This is called Fruit Cocktail

This is called Fruit Cocktail
It is all batiks