Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Anna Is Back !

Ten, maybe eleven years ago, my hair dresser put me on to her housekeeper, Anna.

I was so nervous before her first visit. Does anybody else clean their house before the cleaning lady arrives? Sure, we all do. It's silly but we are either embarrassed that we can't keep our own house clean without help or we are ashamed that we live in a pigpen. For me, it was both reasons. My sons, teenagers back then, were slobs. It didn't seem to bother Anna. She just took charge and presto, I had a clean house.

This little Mexican woman, only 5" 2", is a ball of fire. She has raised her 3 kids all by herself. The two girls, Carol, the oldest and Roxanna the middle child have both graduated from college. Yes, university. Carol was only 18 when she finished and Roxie was 19. She pushed her girls so they would not have to clean other peoples' houses. The youngest, Jose Luis, is not a bit interested in school and will finish high school and do Mexico's required 2 years of military service.

Anna speaks almost no English. It takes her about 2 hours to cross the border and catch a trolley so she can go to work and then repeat that trip to get back home after work. I just think she is amazing. Back in March, she had some medical problems and had to have major surgery. The recovery has been long, 12 weeks. She was so afraid that her regular clients would find somebody else to clean their houses. Nope. We are all waiting for Anna. And since I am the only one that speaks, reads and writes Spanish, Anna has had me coordinate the schedule for her return to work. We email back and forth.

So watch out, dust bunnies, Anna is back in town.

No comments:

My life has changed in the last couple of years - some bumps, I retired from quilting, and then I moved to Texas. I'm anxious to see what new adventures await me in the next phase of my life.

About Me

My photo
Ramona, California, United States
I started quilting when a quilt shop opened in our little town in January 2004. I have been hooked ever since.

Blog Archive

Followers of my blog

Books I"ve read lately

  • The Help (Kindle)
  • The Appeal by John Grisham
  • Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
  • Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
  • To Kill a Mockingbird (again) by Harper Lee
  • Bleachers by John Grisham

This is called Fruit Cocktail

This is called Fruit Cocktail
It is all batiks