Sunday, May 31, 2009

Quilting Emergency (siren noise in the background)


A neighbor called me Friday night in a frustrated snit. She is a hand quilter and had decided to try machine quilting a nephew's baby quilt (36" x 42) on her DSM. She was so upset. After quilting diagonally for a short bit, she turned the quilt over and looked at the back.

Horrors...puckers everywhere. (cue dramatic music). She called for an quilting emergency. I told her to bring her quilt over the next day at 4 P.M.

Right on time and in "hover" mode worried about getting this quilt done, she showed me a cute dotted quilt with stars. Very well pieced, she does immaculate work. She had never seen my studio and was amazed at the size of the machine, the thread, etc. Yes, Marie, thread comes in more colors than just white. LOL. Looking at over 200 cones of thread, what color do you think she chose for this dotted quilt?

Yes, she chose white. I explained that I could an all-over ribbons and stars and that it would go pretty fast. She didn't want to leave the quilt, she wanted to help pin it on the rollers and watch me work. Hmmmm.

OK, but I cannot quilt and chat so you chose. "You quilt, I'll watch". She was so surprised that there were stitches on the quilt and I was just moving my hands around. She needs to get out more.

She was walking out the door 70 minutes after she arrived with her nephew's gift all quilted and ready for binding. I don't imagine that she will ever be a real customer, her hand-quilting is divine. But she might tell some of her quilting buddies about me. It's always good to help your neighbor.

No comments:

My life has changed in the last couple of years - some bumps, I retired from quilting, and then I moved to Texas. I'm anxious to see what new adventures await me in the next phase of my life.

About Me

My photo
Ramona, California, United States
I started quilting when a quilt shop opened in our little town in January 2004. I have been hooked ever since.

Blog Archive

Followers of my blog

Books I"ve read lately

  • The Help (Kindle)
  • The Appeal by John Grisham
  • Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
  • Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
  • To Kill a Mockingbird (again) by Harper Lee
  • Bleachers by John Grisham

This is called Fruit Cocktail

This is called Fruit Cocktail
It is all batiks