Thursday, March 05, 2009

Strike up the Band (quilt)


Grandma Joann pulled this one out of the closet. She wants it quilted so she can donate it to the raffle at the middle school for her grandson's band. It is well pieced but only about 48" square, it will make a nice wall hanging. I think that she meant to quilt it herself. Well, actually, I pulled some clear thread out of it where her daughter had tried unsuccessfully to quilt it.


It has some solid colors in the sashing. I call it sashing because it is only about 2.5 inches wide so I quilted it like a sashing. I used some continuous curves in the plate and star blocks. I stippled the background fill. I wanted to give the center medallion a boost so I used my Circle Lord for the cross-hatching as a background. I used Roseate PermaCore in all but the light areas and then used Signature Parchment cotton thread.

I know that I went overboard on the quilting for the price that I charged her but if her grandson's band makes a bit of extra money because I did a good job quilting, I'm going to be thrilled.

And besides, we grandmothers have to stick together.


No comments:

My life has changed in the last couple of years - some bumps, I retired from quilting, and then I moved to Texas. I'm anxious to see what new adventures await me in the next phase of my life.

About Me

My photo
Ramona, California, United States
I started quilting when a quilt shop opened in our little town in January 2004. I have been hooked ever since.

Blog Archive

Followers of my blog

Books I"ve read lately

  • The Help (Kindle)
  • The Appeal by John Grisham
  • Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
  • Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
  • To Kill a Mockingbird (again) by Harper Lee
  • Bleachers by John Grisham

This is called Fruit Cocktail

This is called Fruit Cocktail
It is all batiks