Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Opportunity Quilt 2009

Our town has a social club for quilting. Each year, we have a small quilt show, about 100 quilts and we make an opportunity quilt. Lots of hands work on this quilt. We sell raffle tickets for the quilt and the winning ticket is drawn at the October quilt show. The monies go to local groups like the senior center, quilt show hosting church's youth group (they provide the refreshments for the 2 day show) and to fire victims. Last year, our opportunity quilt made $3,400 dollars.

The group solicits quilt proposals from the local longarmers. There is not an overwhelming response from longarmers since this is a "no pay" quilt job. The quilter does the work and the payment is that her business card is displayed on the quilt everywhere it goes. Anonymous proposals are reviewed by the members of the group and votes are cast for their choice. There are about 8 longarm quilters in our town of 40,000 people. The quilt is queen size with large applique sunflowers and a white border.

Regina, another quilter from my church, Lutheran Spirit of Joy, has a Statler Stitcher. I asked her if she wanted to team up with me and submit a proposal. She could do the computer work and I would do the background free motion fill. Our proposal was selected by the group. There is lots of SID, ghosting, quilted critters like bees, caterpillars, birds and butterflies. She chose King Tut Sunflower #955thread for the ghost sunflowers. The Mc Tavish like background is Superiors So Fine Cashew #405. More photos to follow.

wip-opp2009

No comments:

My life has changed in the last couple of years - some bumps, I retired from quilting, and then I moved to Texas. I'm anxious to see what new adventures await me in the next phase of my life.

About Me

My photo
Ramona, California, United States
I started quilting when a quilt shop opened in our little town in January 2004. I have been hooked ever since.

Blog Archive

Followers of my blog

Books I"ve read lately

  • The Help (Kindle)
  • The Appeal by John Grisham
  • Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
  • Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
  • To Kill a Mockingbird (again) by Harper Lee
  • Bleachers by John Grisham

This is called Fruit Cocktail

This is called Fruit Cocktail
It is all batiks