Sunday, February 22, 2009

Kaffe Fassett Snowball For Friendship Quilters Guild


My guild, Friendship Quilters of San Diego, had a philanthropy day in January in which we put together a snowball blocks using Kaffe Fassett charm packs. Then Lee and Jean, the Philanthropy chairs for the guild, decided to set the blocks into a black sashed settings with tiny corner stones and a black border.

I volunteered to quilt without any idea of how to quilt it. I got some ideas from the pros on MQ Resource. I used Superior Rainbows thread #814 Gypsy (RED-MAGENTA-ORANGE-DK.RED) plus Superior So Fine black thread in the bobbin and in the border.




I didn' want the border thread to detract from the snowballs; I just wanted it to ruffle the 1-2-3s design in the border. I quilted a feathery flower in each block with the feathers peaking out a bit so the color shows in the black sashings and so the sashing is stabilitzed. I considered SIDing all the rows but it idn't work with my continueous feather flower.

The guild plans to use the quilt in the auction coming up in April. I hope it makes a ton of money for the guild.

1 comment:

kringie said...

I just stumbled onto this quilt design. LOVE IT!

My life has changed in the last couple of years - some bumps, I retired from quilting, and then I moved to Texas. I'm anxious to see what new adventures await me in the next phase of my life.

About Me

My photo
Ramona, California, United States
I started quilting when a quilt shop opened in our little town in January 2004. I have been hooked ever since.

Blog Archive

Followers of my blog

Books I"ve read lately

  • The Help (Kindle)
  • The Appeal by John Grisham
  • Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
  • Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
  • To Kill a Mockingbird (again) by Harper Lee
  • Bleachers by John Grisham

This is called Fruit Cocktail

This is called Fruit Cocktail
It is all batiks