Friday, December 19, 2008

All that rain

It's been raining for 3 or 4 days. It's not a downpour, just a steady rain. But, apparently it was too much rain for my 8 year old house. The roof leaked and it was raining in my living room. Since we work all day, there is no way of knowing how long the rain sat on the new wood floor in my living room. Grrrr. We sopped up the water, laid down a sheet of plastic with a layer of towels on top of that and then a couple of buckets and went to bed. No dripping in the morning, thank goodness and we had blue skies yesterday.

After work, yesterday, the ceiling looked like it was drying. I had been smart enough to mark the spot where it was wet the night before. It looked like the damage was not going to be too bad. So we pulled up the bucket, towels and plastic and that is when I saw the warped flooring. Our house is on a slab so we have engineered wood flooring. It's not laminate. This stuff can be sanded but it is not the solid wood used when you have a crawl space under your house. We waited so long to get wood put in the house. We talked ourselves out of putting it in the kitchen when we did the rest of the house. We were worried about potential water damage if the wood floor got wet. We never thought about the living room floor getting wet. I just want to cry. We're waiting to hear from the insurance company now.

No comments:

My life has changed in the last couple of years - some bumps, I retired from quilting, and then I moved to Texas. I'm anxious to see what new adventures await me in the next phase of my life.

About Me

My photo
Ramona, California, United States
I started quilting when a quilt shop opened in our little town in January 2004. I have been hooked ever since.

Blog Archive

Followers of my blog

Books I"ve read lately

  • The Help (Kindle)
  • The Appeal by John Grisham
  • Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
  • Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
  • To Kill a Mockingbird (again) by Harper Lee
  • Bleachers by John Grisham

This is called Fruit Cocktail

This is called Fruit Cocktail
It is all batiks