Thursday, May 03, 2007

Margo and Amanda's school quilt

Amanda is 15 years old now. Big pigtails, braces, loves horses and a beautiful smile that promises to wow the boys in the years to come. But when Amanda was at the Montessori school here in town, she met Mema. Mema is an experienced quilter who helped out at the school. She taught the kids how to make a quilt. Each child had to bring two 5 inch squares to school to start this project. "One light and one medium" was her mantra to these kids. Mema brought in more fabric for them to use. She taught them how to hand sew their squares, adding more squares over time. Then she reinforced these child-hands stitches with her sewing machine. This project spanned the years that Amanda went to the Montessori school.

Amanda and her mother, Margo, decided that it was time to get the quilt top quilted. That is where I come in. Amanda was open to the panto pattern. She liked Popcorn and Rosie and then she finally chose Featheration. It is a big open pattern. I think that she will like it for her scrappy quilt full of memories.

No comments:

My life has changed in the last couple of years - some bumps, I retired from quilting, and then I moved to Texas. I'm anxious to see what new adventures await me in the next phase of my life.

About Me

My photo
Ramona, California, United States
I started quilting when a quilt shop opened in our little town in January 2004. I have been hooked ever since.

Blog Archive

Followers of my blog

Books I"ve read lately

  • The Help (Kindle)
  • The Appeal by John Grisham
  • Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
  • Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
  • To Kill a Mockingbird (again) by Harper Lee
  • Bleachers by John Grisham

This is called Fruit Cocktail

This is called Fruit Cocktail
It is all batiks