Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Sunbonnet Sues

How sweet is this quilt?

Cathy made this quilt. It was her first go at embroidered kit work. The little Sue's blocks pattern in the kit is printed using blue ink on white fabric. Cathy did a great job on the embroidery but then she got turned around on where to cut the blocks. The whole block sizing scheme is too complex for me. Anyway, she just widened the sashing to compensate for the smaller blocks. I also noticed that some ofhte blue ink was getting wicked, up into the thread.That was a bit scary. But I was told that the blue would wash right out.


I wanted to use white or natural thread to echo inside the Sue-blocks. The sashing and borders were a turquoise print. That turquoise print was also used as the sides on the piececd back along with a pink flannel with multi-colored dots. I needed to use aqua thread on the back to go with the Superiod Ing Tut DeNile thread to be used on the sashing and borders on the front. I was afraid that I would get pokeys of blue pulling thru to the front in the Sue blocks. My solution for that was to put in 2 pieces of batting. The first was a thin Warm & Natural cotton laid on top of the backing. Then a layer of Warm & Natural Soft & Bright poly batting was placed on top of the cotton batt. Then the quilt top on top of all that. It worked. NO POKEYS in the white Sue blocks.

I was very pleased with it and so was Cathy. I love trying new things.

And this is what it looked like.


And the detail on the block:


And the back:

No comments:

My life has changed in the last couple of years - some bumps, I retired from quilting, and then I moved to Texas. I'm anxious to see what new adventures await me in the next phase of my life.

About Me

My photo
Ramona, California, United States
I started quilting when a quilt shop opened in our little town in January 2004. I have been hooked ever since.

Blog Archive

Followers of my blog

Books I"ve read lately

  • The Help (Kindle)
  • The Appeal by John Grisham
  • Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
  • Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
  • To Kill a Mockingbird (again) by Harper Lee
  • Bleachers by John Grisham

This is called Fruit Cocktail

This is called Fruit Cocktail
It is all batiks