Saturday, May 01, 2010

IQ designs - hot and fresh off the grill

I wanted to use diamond motifs in my show quilt. Well, I think diamond motifs look good in a lot of different quilts. The MQS quilt show deadline loomed large and I had to re-think the diamond. But I still wanted a good diamond poin-to-point design.

Trouble was, I could not find anything that I liked. I wanted a curved diamond, maybe even concentric curved diamonds.

Or how about a diamond that could be used P2P (point-to-point) so that the size and shape of the block did not matter. Point A to Point B, click and click.

Oooh, and maybe put something inside the diamond for some added interest. That is what I wanted. I even tried to design it myself using the tools that I have; software, the IQ record function and simply drawing the design. Pitiful.

I don't remember exactly where on the internet I had bemoaned the fact that the P2P diamond design that I had, did not work and that I was not finding suitable P2P diamond digitized design replacements. Which design house had this so-called P2P-diamond motif that I had even came from?

Then I got an email from Shannon Hicks over at Piece and Joy Quilting. She wanted to help. We emailed back and forth. She listened to my requirements and sent me a couple of ideas. Wow, that was a surprise. She even suggested some cool things to add to the diamonds. I did not know that a designer could or would make a design for you. Not exactly customized in the sense that I get the only design. No, these designs would be seen and loved by others. Before I knew it, she emailed me with the finished designs. They are so cool.

I have a quilt in my queue that will look terrific with at least one of these diamonds. Now my imagination will not be stifled by my inability to digitize a design. That is so liberating. Thank you, Shannon Hicks.

No comments:

My life has changed in the last couple of years - some bumps, I retired from quilting, and then I moved to Texas. I'm anxious to see what new adventures await me in the next phase of my life.

About Me

My photo
Ramona, California, United States
I started quilting when a quilt shop opened in our little town in January 2004. I have been hooked ever since.

Blog Archive

Followers of my blog

Books I"ve read lately

  • The Help (Kindle)
  • The Appeal by John Grisham
  • Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
  • Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
  • To Kill a Mockingbird (again) by Harper Lee
  • Bleachers by John Grisham

This is called Fruit Cocktail

This is called Fruit Cocktail
It is all batiks