Thursday, June 17, 2010

Big Foot Lives at My House



I am tall. Just regular tall, though. I am 5 foot 11 inches and shrinking (old age is no fun). I have always struggled to buy clothes long enough and shoes narrow enough. Shoot, my grandmother would have worn my prom dress - it was so old-lady looking. You get the picture.

So when a friend suggested that I try SAS Shoes I was a bit skeptical. I sometimes wear a brace on my left foot. I hate the brace since I have to buy BIGGER shoes in order for the brace to fit inside. I ruptured my posterior tibial tendon last year and am not a candidate for surgery. So when I will be standing for long times, like to quilt, I wear the brace to cut down on the pain.

It's been decades since I've been able to walk into a shoe store and come out with shoes that fit. I'm not about talking Crocs (which just kill my feet) or men's boat shoes, well, because they don't fit. Confidence was not high when I entered the SAS store and saw two old guys (read as 70-something) with blacksmith aprons working there. I was the only customer. Yeah, this is not going to work. I saw some nice sandals near the front - hmmm, those probably come as big as size 10. Grumble.

I told the guy, (who turned out to be a peach and knew his stuff about shoes) that I was looking for walking shoes and hoped that he could fit me. He was pretty confident that he could....until he measured my feet. Yeah, big foot lives here. But he went up and down the aisles with the shoes. My husband, Terry, could see him searching, I was off to one side. "Does he have any boxes in his hands?" I asked. "Nope" says Terry "but he is still looking". So the salesman finally returns and he has a box with him. Years of disappointment have taught me not to get excited by shoe boxes since the contents rarely fit. The guy opened the box and pulled out a pair of those sandals that I had admired earlier.


I tried them on and walked around. Comfy. So I bought the only pair of size 13 Narrow shoes at that particular SAS shoe store and danced out the door.

Don't you love a happy ending?

No comments:

My life has changed in the last couple of years - some bumps, I retired from quilting, and then I moved to Texas. I'm anxious to see what new adventures await me in the next phase of my life.

About Me

My photo
Ramona, California, United States
I started quilting when a quilt shop opened in our little town in January 2004. I have been hooked ever since.

Blog Archive

Followers of my blog

Books I"ve read lately

  • The Help (Kindle)
  • The Appeal by John Grisham
  • Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
  • Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
  • To Kill a Mockingbird (again) by Harper Lee
  • Bleachers by John Grisham

This is called Fruit Cocktail

This is called Fruit Cocktail
It is all batiks