Thursday, November 26, 2009
Lori's Monsters Quilt
This grandmother really put on her thinking cap to make this darling quilt based on the movie Monsters, Inc. She crafted some monsters with big smiles, extra eyes and plaid bellies and placed them in blocks. She wanted the monsters to stay secured and a bit puffy. I used Quilter's Dream Puff batting.
She decided to use Anne Bright's digitized pattern named Monsters. It was perfect for this quilt. She did not want the pattern to march across the monsters, though. So I listened to Linda Lawson's 3-part IQ video on how to use IQ's No-Sew block to mask out areas and still use a panto behind the masked area. It does jump-stitches oaver the masked out areas. So cool. This technique will work really well with applique as well.
Lori and I disagreed on the color of thread to use. I thought that lime green would be a good choice but Lori wanted orange. She really wanted the monster panto to show plus she was planning to use orange plaid binding. I convinced her to use the lime green. Then I quilted it, well, about 8 inches on the panto (very tight) and it was almost invisible on the quilt top. Crap!. 2 hours of unquilting later and I decided that Rheingold bright orange was a better chioce. It turned out adorable.
My life has changed in the last couple of years - some bumps, I retired from quilting, and then I moved to Texas. I'm anxious to see what new adventures await me in the next phase of my life.
- ► 2011 (9)
- ► 2010 (75)
- ▼ 11/22 - 11/29 (8)
- ► 2008 (88)
- ► 2007 (89)
- ► 2006 (67)