Wednesday, November 19, 2008

First Award


This is my oldest grandson, Hunter. He is 5 years old and just started kindergarten in September. I took off time from work to go to the assembly at the school to see him get his first Citizenship award. Waiting for the assembly to start, I was flooded with memories of my kids at school. All those PTA bake sales, reading at night, the model of the mission for 4th grade, school plays, report cards. We spend countless hours helping them with math or English; squabbling about homework versus playtime; and just worrying that our morals, values and message gets through their little heads. We invest so much in our kids. And sometimes..... (Jacob's entire sophomore year, for example), it is hard to believe that they listened or learned anything that we taught them about life. But somehow we get past the struggles, and they are through high school. Where did the time go?

Why do we do it? You remember the words you spoke to your children. The payoff is when you hear your children speak those words to their children. OK, I guess he was paying attention.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Linda...
What a sweet face your grandson has!!! I can't wait for grandchildren myself so that I can enjoy all those milestones once again. BTW...just wanted to say HOWDY 'cuz we're neighbors, so to speak. I work as a preschool teacher here in Poway!!! Small world, huh???

Tina Higley

My life has changed in the last couple of years - some bumps, I retired from quilting, and then I moved to Texas. I'm anxious to see what new adventures await me in the next phase of my life.

About Me

My photo
Ramona, California, United States
I started quilting when a quilt shop opened in our little town in January 2004. I have been hooked ever since.

Blog Archive

Followers of my blog

Books I"ve read lately

  • The Help (Kindle)
  • The Appeal by John Grisham
  • Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
  • Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
  • To Kill a Mockingbird (again) by Harper Lee
  • Bleachers by John Grisham

This is called Fruit Cocktail

This is called Fruit Cocktail
It is all batiks