Saturday, December 08, 2007

Deborah's Arkansas Crossroads


I attend a night-time quilt class at the local high school. The students vary from rookies who have never made a quilt and some quilters with decades of experience. We meet once a week and work on various projects. The teacher, Janet, teaches us a couple of patterns each semester. Some of us make the quilts, some of us go to class for the lecture portion and work on other projects. It is more of a social event where we happen to learn quilting. One of the projects was the quilt pattern Arkansas Crossroads. I am still pretty new to the group. I just finished my second semester.

At the end of every month, the group is encouraged to donate home-made placemats which will be given to the local senior center. Each placemat donated gets a ticket for the drawing held in class. So if you donate, 4 placemats, you get 4 tickets. The drawing prizes are usually gift certificates to the local quilt shop, The Crazy 9Patch. Since I jsut got a new Gammill longarm machine, I decided to donate a free quilt job for one of the class projects. Deborah brought some placemats to class and won the quilt job.

The quilt is 89 x 112 and is done in deep rich browns and reds. The backing is a brown batik. I used Signature Chestnut brown on top and Java brown in the bobbin. The quilt was so dark that I decided to use Quilter's Dream Midnight Black batting. I used a couple of stencils for the borders and the Meredith England panto named Featheration. If is a big (17") flowing pattern and it quilts up quickly.



No comments:

My life has changed in the last couple of years - some bumps, I retired from quilting, and then I moved to Texas. I'm anxious to see what new adventures await me in the next phase of my life.

About Me

My photo
Ramona, California, United States
I started quilting when a quilt shop opened in our little town in January 2004. I have been hooked ever since.

Blog Archive

Followers of my blog

Books I"ve read lately

  • The Help (Kindle)
  • The Appeal by John Grisham
  • Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
  • Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
  • To Kill a Mockingbird (again) by Harper Lee
  • Bleachers by John Grisham

This is called Fruit Cocktail

This is called Fruit Cocktail
It is all batiks