Saturday, October 20, 2007

Diane's Diagonal Quilt





I got this quilt from a new customer. She had already cut the corners on the diagonal and 2 out of 4 of the corner borders were not right. She only tied her previous quilts. She had made this pattern up in 4 quilt, the first 3 tied. This one was designated for her daught's best friend's wedding gift 4 days hence. As she showed me the quilt, I asked about the size of the backing. She proudly announced that the backing was "exactly" the same size as the front. When I explained the 4" requirement on each side looked at me funny. She thought that I would stitch up the sides, leaving a hole and then pull the quilt thru it. I think it is called the pillowcase method. YIKES. I told her to leave it to me and I would have it ready in 3 days.

I managed to stabilize it by basting rowes 6 inches apart so that the backing would not disappear by the time I got to the bottom of the quilt. I just used an edge to edge. I managed to tuck the big excess border sections under and put a feather across it so it would not show.

She had left me no fabric for binding. So I trimmed the batting to even it with the folded under the quilt top and the backing and stitched it together. Well, I finished it in time and called her. She was thrilled because all she had to do was put gigtwrap on it.
I love happy endings, don't you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a very interesting site. The content is very informative and I am so glad that I dropped by. Thanks!

______________________________
Virginia Beach Roofing

My life has changed in the last couple of years - some bumps, I retired from quilting, and then I moved to Texas. I'm anxious to see what new adventures await me in the next phase of my life.

About Me

My photo
Ramona, California, United States
I started quilting when a quilt shop opened in our little town in January 2004. I have been hooked ever since.

Blog Archive

Followers of my blog

Books I"ve read lately

  • The Help (Kindle)
  • The Appeal by John Grisham
  • Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
  • Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
  • To Kill a Mockingbird (again) by Harper Lee
  • Bleachers by John Grisham

This is called Fruit Cocktail

This is called Fruit Cocktail
It is all batiks