Friday, April 13, 2007

Folk Art Flowers from Buggy Barn


This one is mine. The book is called Perennially Crazy for Buggy Barn by two sisters named Janet Nesbitt and Pam Soliday. I took a Susan Baker class a few months ago using this book and have been waiting for the time to quilt this one for myself. The pattern is so fun, lots of different fabrics and prints. No rules. Some of the flowers have 3 segments and some have 4. I just decided to mix it up.

This is basically a stack and whack. The key to putting these Folk Art Flower quilts together is the first step, choosing fabric that complements or contrasts with it. You don't want to put a beige on top of another light color so you have to think about what fabric fat quarter goes in front of and behind of the one you are holding and stack them up so that when you shuffle, you still have a good contrast.


So now I am ready to quilt my Folk Art Flower quilt. I am going to use Gatsby Green on top and black Bottom Line in the bobbin. I am stuck on what to do in the border. I like the Funky Flower stencil (top on photo on right) but it may be too much considering that the quilt is already pretty funky. Then there is the square spirals on the left border in the same photo.

But I also like the lemon border in the photo on the left. And those big dancing leaves would be in keeping with the spirit of the quilt. I'll have to decide by tomorrow night when the quilting begins.

No comments:

My life has changed in the last couple of years - some bumps, I retired from quilting, and then I moved to Texas. I'm anxious to see what new adventures await me in the next phase of my life.

About Me

My photo
Ramona, California, United States
I started quilting when a quilt shop opened in our little town in January 2004. I have been hooked ever since.

Blog Archive

Followers of my blog

Books I"ve read lately

  • The Help (Kindle)
  • The Appeal by John Grisham
  • Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
  • Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
  • To Kill a Mockingbird (again) by Harper Lee
  • Bleachers by John Grisham

This is called Fruit Cocktail

This is called Fruit Cocktail
It is all batiks