Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Honoring her father's 30 years of Naval service

Belle has not been quilting long. You wouldn't know that by looking at her piecing. Her work is precise, clean, trimmed and pressed. I love to quilt for her. I know that I can do stitch in the ditch without fighting with the seams.

Belle made this quilt for her 90-year old father to honor his 30+ years in the Navy. She used patriotic fabric with war posters and flags on it.

Belle was in the local quilt shop, The Crazy 9 Patch on Saturday and saw Martha's, the shop owner, quilt hanging behind the cash register. Martha's was my first Circle Lord quilt. I used concentric circles on it. She loved it. Well, so did Belle. She asked if I could get it done before Christmas and she wanted the concentric circles. Hey, I'm a Navy retiree too, so of course I told her I would fit it in.

I put big stars in the patriotic blocks and put the concentric circles in the alternate 4-patch combo block.
The front:



The back:


Corner detail:


And the other bottom corner:

No comments:

My life has changed in the last couple of years - some bumps, I retired from quilting, and then I moved to Texas. I'm anxious to see what new adventures await me in the next phase of my life.

About Me

My photo
Ramona, California, United States
I started quilting when a quilt shop opened in our little town in January 2004. I have been hooked ever since.

Blog Archive

Followers of my blog

Books I"ve read lately

  • The Help (Kindle)
  • The Appeal by John Grisham
  • Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
  • Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
  • To Kill a Mockingbird (again) by Harper Lee
  • Bleachers by John Grisham

This is called Fruit Cocktail

This is called Fruit Cocktail
It is all batiks