Sunday, October 08, 2006
Mema's Butterfly Quilt
Mema made this modified rail fence quilt for one of her granddaughters. So she wanted it quilted with butterflies. I used a Hermoine Agee for Lorien pantograph called Butterly Charms.
There is a lot of lime green in the fabric and Mema wanted me to use YLI's Kyoto Gardens thread. I decided to try YLI's new Variations thread called grass in the bobbin because the back was even greener than the front.
The only trouble is my machine HATES YLI thread.
After the first 4 or 5 breaks, I decided to count the breaks. I had 47 thread breaks. That's 47 trips around that 14 foot table to fix thread that, in my humble opinion, does not hold up to the speed of longarm quilting machines. The tension was perfect when it wasn't breaking. Great definition on the stitching. The back was beautiful.
Things I tried that did not work:
-- I tried just slowing down first but it still snapped.
-- I adjusted the tension top and bobbin; moved the spool from the back to
the spool holder on top and then returned the spool to the back
-- I Cleaned out the hook area thoroughly
-- I dosed the spool with Sewer's Aid
-- I changed out the bobbin case
-- I used my Towa tension gauge to verify the setting on the bobbin.
Nothing helped. Once I had struggled thru the first row of the panto with 6 breaks, I was committed to using the thread. The color was perfect for the quilt because it had blues and greens in the thread.
YLI thread has some brilliant colors and wonderful variegated combinations. There is no doubt that it is a quality thread. I have used it in my Bernina with excellent results. But I hope that this will be my last quilt on a longarm with YLI thread.
My life has changed in the last couple of years - some bumps, I retired from quilting, and then I moved to Texas. I'm anxious to see what new adventures await me in the next phase of my life.
- ► 2011 (9)
- ► 2010 (75)
- ► 2009 (160)
- ► 2008 (88)
- ► 2007 (89)
- ▼ 10/08 - 10/15 (4)